C O L U M N S
Tales from the Jugular
Breakin' the Speed of Sound!
It's no secret that metal is fast, loud and adrenaline producing music. I'm sure all of us have been behind the wheel at some point or another blasting our latest purchase, only to look up and see those flashing red and blue lights behind us or noticing that our mph has just crept up over 100. That being said, I compiled a list of personal songs that I could easily break the speed barrier to. Send us yours as well! My picks in no particular order:
1. Vader-"Xeper": This track is like a German Panzer tank steamrolling through gridlocked traffic. Between the riffs and the cadence of the vocals, it's really damn hard for me not to mash the accelerator down to the floor.
2. Testament-"Shades of War": The second this song starts, the flux capacitor goes into overdrive, my mph jump, and I am hitting 1.21 gigawatts. The solo in this song also causes my steering wheel to turn into a fiery Les Paul that I'm playing like a demon.
3. Bring Me The Horizon-"Antivist": From BMTH's Sempiternal album, this track not only makes me want to smash the speed limit but also someone's face. The chorus is an all time classic!
4. Megadeth-"The Disentegrators": The speedy, thrash heavy track from Cryptic Writings, Mustaine must have been thinking about tearing down the road when writing this track. From start to finish, you are sure to want to push your ride to it's limit.
5. Bloodbath-"Iesous": This track is a slow burner but once it gets going, other drivers beware. You will be dealing with an enraged, full on metal attack from whomever is blasting this banger!
6. Lamb of God-"Contractor": Right out of the gate, the "Woooooo" with the country inflection that kicks this track off is the signal to start driving like you're at the Daytona 500.
7. Iced Earth-"Violate": One of the band's heaviest tracks, the heaviest in my opinion, is probably the number one offender in my car for causing the speedometer to creep up with increasing ease.
8. Pantera-"Domination": One of my all time favorite Pantera tunes. The second that breakdown kicks in, my accelerator is stomped to the floor like I'm delivering a curb stomp to some poor, defenseless bug.
9. Judas Priest-"Painkiller": Now some people may think "Breaking the Law" would be the choice here because of its apparent irony but for me, "Painkiller" is a track that is a damn fine driving song. The drums at the beginning are enough to get my motor running on high octane.
10. Slayer-"Raining Blood": Picking a Slayer song for this list was like pulling teeth for me. There are so many great songs to choose from, hell, the entire "Reign in Blood" album could be used. For me though, this track is the track that no matter when I hear it at any point in the song, I find myself trying to drive like I'm going to outrun a cop hot on my tail.
[Other Maximum Metal Columns]
RANDOM ACTS OF METAL